Temecula Valley Rose Society
Board Meeting Minutes
March 10, 2016
Present: Bonnie Bell, Phyllis Bettelheim, Virginia Boos, Jeannie Brubaker, Frank Brines, Betty Dixon, Barb Purdy, Kathy Turgeon, Rebecca Weersing, Denise Vaccaro
Absent: Patricia Hirsch, Ann Schryer
Meeting called to order at 10:00AM by Co-President Phyllis Bettelheim
Minutes of February, 2015 meeting approved as corrected
Treasurer's Report (detailed report attached to secretary's copy of minutes)
Motion to ratify January check's - #2433-2437 plus auto pay water and electric - $1,286.85
Motion to drop the Volunteer Policy and adopt the Chubb Liability (2 year policy) until March 2018
● Opportunity Table Chair: Jeanne discussed the plans for the restaurant fundraiser on March 17th from 4:00 - 7:00pm. She passed out the flyers for the event which must be presented when ordering food.
● Rose Show Committee Chair: Rebecca reports that the Rose & Arts Festival is taking shape. The committee is working on the room layout, judging, photography and refreshments. The packet for rules on displaying will be available at the next meeting.
● Membership Chair: The board voted to make the end of February the cut-off date for this year's dues. The roster will be printed in March.
● Youth Gardening Chair: Barb reports March 20th program for Youth Gardening will be on "Bees & Bugs." There will also be a craft available. The Youth Gardening Program received $150 from the TV Women's Club Conservation Committee, and the monies will be used for the April program on "How to plant trees using the Espalier Method" presented by Kathy Swanson.
● Program Committee Chairs: Patricia/Betty: Betty reports that the April program will be on "Landscaping with old Garden Roses", presented by Linda Combs.
● Community Education Chair Frank has put out a flyer for the fall arrangement. It is on the Southwest District website and has gone out to all TVRS members. The push will be in September but Frank would like to have reservations as soon as possible. He would like a short update to our members in June.
● Rose Haven Committee Chair: Phyllis reports that the Mormon Church will come out on May 21st to work on projects at Rose Haven from 8:00am 'till 12:00noon. The May Youth Gardening Meeting will be cancelled. A new trash barrel has been put in place. The pruning and fertilizing is completed at Rose Haven. Two benches had to be removed because they were falling apart and we have a new request by an Eagle Scout group to put in another bench which will be more sturdy.
● Grant Committee Chairs: Rebecca/Betty will meet on March 11th to discuss the plans and look over shade structure ideas for a special events area at Rose Haven. Betty will then write the proposal to Roripaugh.
● Committee Organization Chart: Bonnie passed out the finished copies of the TVRS organization chart.
● Communications: We are still looking for a coordinator for the Communications Committee.
● Insurance: Rebecca presented the options for the board on the insurance that will protect board members from libel, breach of duty, etc. She presented Management Liability and United States Liability and Chubb Liability Insurance. At this time, we have a general liability covering members and decided to not to go with the Volunteer policy since members are covered under the general liability policy. It was the decision of the board to go with the Chubb Liability policy.
Awards: The board will look into getting Karen Ortega a Past President pin on a ribbon.
Meeting adjourned at 11:30 AM. Next meeting on April 14, 2016 at Atria Vintage Hills, 41780 Butterfield State Road, Temecula
Respectfully submitted, Kathy Turgeon, Secretary.