June 11, 2015 Temecula Valley Rose Society Board Meeting Minutes

Assistance League of Temecula, 28720 via Montezuma, Temecula CA

 

Present: Bonnie Bell, Frank Brines, Jeanne Brubaker, Ron Rumbold, Rebecca Weersing, Kathy Turgeon.

Absent: Phyllis Bettelheim, Ann Coates, Betty Dixon, Barb Purdy, Ann Schreyer, Denise Vaccaro.

 

Meeting called to order at 10:20 AM by Co-President Rebecca Weersing.

Minutes of May, 2015 meeting approved as read.

Treasurer's Report (detailed report attached to secretary's copy of minutes).

Motions passed

Motion to ratify checks plus auto-pay for May - #2370-2381, total $28,582.77.

 

Reports


 • Bonnie reported that the TVRS tax returns for 2014 were filed in May.


 • The 2016 Rose Show date is, Saturday, April 23 and will be held at the Assistance League.  Rebecca reported that an organizational meeting for the Rose Show will be held on August 13th after the board meeting.


 • Linda Black will be resigning as V.P. of Programs.


 • Rebecca gave a report on the Tree of Life progress which began on May 19th.  The new items are fencing, wire, trenching, irrigation, raised beds, gates, concrete curbing and mulch.


 • Frank had some concerns on getting 3 bids on the pathways in the garden.  The Finance Committee will meet to look at by-law changes on procedures and planning on major projects.


 • Rebecca reports that the Strategic Planning Meeting is on Thursday, August 20th.


 • Bonnie reports that Bryan spoke about working on the soil erosion in the garden.  He gave three recommendations to stop soil erosion. Nardo is checking on all the irrigation and making repairs. Ann ordered the water lilies and put them in the pond.

 

ACTION ITEMS PENDING


 • Frank is still investigating the Temecula Downs Project.


 • Rebecca reported that the Luminaria event,(Summer Solstice) is taking place the evening of June 20th.


 • Rebecca said that the legal committee met and gave the wordage for the new signs for Rose Haven.

 

ACTION ITEMS COMPLETED

Rebecca gave a final report on the very successful Taco Party.

 

NEW BUSINESS

 


 • Frank checked with the Assistance League and we will be able to get the room for the fall, 2016 ARS Seminar.


 • Ann Coakes will give her “favorite rose” presentation at the June General Meeting.


 • Rebecca brought up a new project called “Little Free Library.”  It is going to begin with the children’s' museum putting up the first “free library box.” The museum director said that she hopes it would be taken up by many other non-profits in our area.  It consists of putting up a post with a box, (somewhat bigger than a mail box) which could be filled with 7 or 8 books and people could borrow the books and return them when they are done.  The project was discussed and there were pros and cons and it will be brought up again at our next board meeting. 


 • The board also discussed the subject of committee chairs sending all their reports to other board members as well as to John, so all board members are aware of what’'s going on in other committees.

 

Meeting adjourned at 11:55pm by Co-President Rebecca.

Next meeting 10:00 AM on August 13th, at the Assistance League of Temecula, 28720 Via Montezuma,  Temecula CA.

 

Respectfully submitted, Kathy Turgeon, Secretary.