Temecula Valley Rose Society
Note: The source of this list is Santa Clara, which is in Northern California, so adjust accordingly.
Annual "To Do" Rose Chores
A Calendar of Rosey Things to do for California Rose Gardens
- Prune all roses except those that bloom once a year.
- Plant bare root roses.
- If desired, apply pre‑emergent weed killer.
- Dormant spray.
- Clean up all debris.
- Finish pruning by mid‑month since the sap will begin to rise and the roses will try to put out new growth.
- Also finish planting.
- Do not apply dormant spray once the bushes begin to leaf out since the spray will burn the tender growth.
- Can also add soil amendments.
- Apply fertilizer.
- Add soil amendments if you haven't already done so.
- Begin spray program, if desired.
- Finger prune.*
- Continue spray program (if you choose to spray).
- Disbud for one bloom‑per‑stem.
- Make sure roses have enough water.
- Prepare for rose shows!
May — September
- Be sure roses are well watered.
- Continue fertilizer program.
- Spray for disease and insects if you choose to spray.
- Otherwise, use IPM practices such as introducing beneficial insects and using nontoxic sprays.
- Keep garden clean of debris.
- Improve air flow among roses by removing crossing canes and keeping the centers of the bushes open.
- Decrease nitrogen in your fertilizer by using 0-10-10, or by ending your fertilization program.
- Continue spray program if you are using one.
- Garden should remain free of debris to help avoid the spread of disease.
- Monitor soil moisture as the rains begin.
- Send for rose catalogs and order new roses!
- End fertilization program if you haven't already done so.
- Dispose of garden debris.
- Roses require less water as they go dormant, but make sure that the soil is still moist.
- Let hips form to encourage dormancy.
- Same as November.
- Can begin pruning, if desired.
- Prepare soil for new rose beds.
* Finger prune (pinching out the bud or terminal point).
Copyright © 1995-2005 Santa Clara County Rose Society.
Return to Rose Care Tips